PRINCIPAL SCIENTIST – Group Leader Medicinal Chemistry
US – Massachusetts – Cambridge
Amgen is a leading global biotechnology company, with a mission to serve patients around the world. As a science-based, patient-focused organization, we discover and develop innovative therapies to treat serious illnesses. Our medicines have made a dramatic difference in the lives of millions. To underpin our commitment to serve patients, Amgen is hiring in the department of Medicinal Chemistry at our Research and Development facility in Cambridge MA (AMA).
This Principal Scientist will be part of an innovative Medicinal Chemistry group and play an important team leadership role on programs at all stages of drug discovery and within various therapeutic areas to identify clinical candidates. The Principal Scientist will typically manage a large medicinal chemistry or diverse functional team of research scientists and associates within a collaborative environment, and be responsible for providing motivating professional development guidance and/or coaching of colleagues within his/her group, as well as others. Additional responsibilities include, but are not limited to: independently devise and implement creative scientific strategies to address complex drug discovery issues through direct reports and a larger team, determine team direction to advance programs, regularly communicate progress and strategy in various forums. The Principal Scientist will serve as a scientific resource to the department and broader organization who will champion new technologies/ideas to enhance capabilities and train future leaders in medicinal chemistry.
- Doctorate degree and 3 years of medicinal chemistry or pharmaceutical research experience
- M.S degree with and 6 years of medicinal chemistry or pharmaceutical research experience
- B.S degree with and 8 years of medicinal chemistry or pharmaceutical research experience
- Doctorate degree in chemistry specializing in organic synthesis and 8+ years of experience
- Experience leading medicinal chemistry teams/programs and delivering candidates for clinical development
- Extensive track record of consistent and successful drug discovery accomplishments (e.g. patent inventorship, conference presentations, and peer-reviewed publications)
- Deep understanding of drug discovery and relevant drug discovery disciplines (e.g. chemistry, biology, safety, PKDM, etc.)
- Expert in modern medicinal and synthetic chemistry approaches to enable others
- Demonstrated experience managing several direct reports
- Excellent collaboration and communication skills (both written and oral)
Amgen is an Equal Opportunity employer and will consider all qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, or disability status.
Special Advisory: Please be cautious of scam recruitment offers claiming to be from Amgen. Such scams may come from various sources, including fake websites, social media chat and/or unsolicited emails. These scams seek to obtain personal information or payment from victims by offering jobs that do not exist. Please be advised that Amgen would never ask for payment to progress a job application or send checks to be deposited in bank accounts. When in doubt, please check to see if the position in question is posted on the Amgen career site. Additionally, please report any suspicious recruiting activity to https://complaint.ic3.gov and thank you for your assistance.