Executive Director, Inflammation and ImmunoOncology
US – California – South San Francisco; US – California – Thousand Oaks
The Executive Director, Inflammation and Oncology Discovery Research is responsible for a group engaged in early discovery inflammation and immuno-oncology research at Amgen from target identification through preclinical assessment. This individual will ensure that Amgen efficiently integrates the needs of the patient with extraordinary science and technology in an environment of focused innovation to produce novel inflammatory therapeutics which address critical medical needs. This individual will lead internal research efforts and play a key role in managing a broad network of research collaborations with other biopharmaceutical companies, academic institutions and research organizations. This individual will have a critical impact on all aspects of decision-making which will ultimately affect Amgen’s established and developing inflammation and immune-oncology portfolio. Above all else, this individual will be an accomplished drug hunter and excellent scientist who is passionate and focused about bringing novel therapeutics into the clinic and to the patient. R&D is the heart of Amgen, and they are committed to increasing funding in discovery and research to continue their strong history of innovation and ensure a robust future inflammation and immuno-oncology pipeline.
• Ensure that Amgen derives its sense of purpose from the needs of the patient and that all key decisions are made from a patient-centered perspective.
• Develop/refine a research strategy which builds on Amgen’s strengths and unique capabilities in inflammation and immune-oncology, emphasizes breakthrough innovation and establishes near-term and long-term objectives.
• Recruit, develop and retain world class scientists and build strong research teams which are highly productive and efficient.
• Foster a strong culture of innovation and creativity. Ensure its research organization is an environment which allows Amgen to recruit, develop and retain world-class scientific.
• Ensure effective collaboration among enabling functions, therapeutic teams and locations. Implement effective project management and knowledge sharing capabilities
• Participate in business development efforts, which results in the acquisition or licensing of cutting edge technologies and intellectual property which enhances inflammation and immuno-oncology discovery research.
• Ensure that the partnership with Translational Medicine, Clinical Development, manufacturing and Commercial Operations is superb. Present preclinical development candidates which meet established criteria to the board and leadership team.
• Effectively represent Amgen by presenting the company’s unique capabilities and technologies, and the value of its inflammation research pipeline to patients, physicians, analysts, industry partners, academia and other external constituents.
- Doctorate degree & 6 years of Biological Sciences experience OR
- Master’s degree & 10 years of Biological Sciences experience OR
- Bachelor’s degree & 12 years of Biological Sciences experience AND
- 6 years of managerial experience directly managing people and/or leadership experience leading teams, projects, programs or directing the allocation of resources
PhD and/or MD with specialization in a relevant biological sciences discipline
Strong inflammation research credentials with expertise leading programs and people and a strong record of publications; this could come from various relevant areas including Immunology, Rheumatology, Virology, Gastroenterology, Pulmonary, Immuno-Oncology etc.
Track record of innovation in discovery of inflammatory therapeutics
Evidence of scientific accomplishment
Thorough clinical understanding of inflammatory needs and opportunities
A scientist with a passion for the discovery of novel inflammatory and immune-oncology therapeutics and an exemplary track record of success emanating from their current leadership experience in academia or the biopharmaceutical industry. The successful candidate’s experience as a drug hunter and scientific gravitas will insure instant credibility with Amgen’s broad internal and external stakeholders.
Amgen is an Equal Opportunity employer and will consider all qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, or disability status.
Amgen will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
Special Advisory: Please be cautious of scam recruitment offers claiming to be from Amgen. Such scams may come from various sources, including fake websites, social media chat and/or unsolicited emails. These scams seek to obtain personal information or payment from victims by offering jobs that do not exist. Please be advised that Amgen would never ask for payment to progress a job application or send checks to be deposited in bank accounts. When in doubt, please check to see if the position in question is posted on the Amgen career site. Additionally, please report any suspicious recruiting activity to https://complaint.ic3.gov and thank you for your assistance.