SENIOR SCIENTIST – MEDICINAL CHEMISTRY
US – Massachusetts – Cambridge
Amgen is a leading global biotechnology company, with a mission to serve patients around the world. As a science-based, patient-focused organization, we discover and develop innovative therapies to treat serious illnesses. Our medicines have made a dramatic difference in the lives of millions. To underpin our commitment to serve patients, Amgen is hiring in the department of Medicinal Chemistry at our Research and Development facility in Cambridge MA (AMA).
This Senior Scientist will be part of an innovative Medicinal Chemistry group and play an important leadership role on programs at all stages of drug discovery and within various therapeutic areas to identify clinical candidates. The Senior Scientist may directly or indirectly manage research scientists and/or associates within a collaborative environment and be responsible for providing motivating professional development coaching within his/her group. Additional responsibilities include, but are not limited to: devise and implement creative scientific strategies to address synthetic and medicinal chemistry issues through conducting laboratory experiments, working closely with other researchers to influence team direction and advance programs, communicate progress and strategy in various forums, and preparing technical documents. The Senior Scientist will serve as a scientific resource to the department who will champion new technologies/ideas to enhance capabilities.
- Doctorate degree and 2 years of medicinal chemistry or pharmaceutical research experience
- M.S degree and 5 years of medicinal chemistry or pharmaceutical research experience
- B.S degree and 7 years of medicinal chemistry or pharmaceutical research experience
- Doctorate degree in chemistry specializing in organic synthesis and 5+ years of experience
- Experience leading/participating on a team that has advanced compounds to clinical development
- Track record of consistent and successful drug discovery accomplishments (e.g. patent inventorship, conference presentations, and peer-reviewed publications)
- Deep understanding of synthetic and medicinal and chemistry concepts with high lab productivity
- Demonstration of good lab practices, with particular attention to safety
- Proficient skills in parallel synthesis and use of structure-based or other computer-aided design tools
- Broad understanding of drug discovery disciplines (e.g. chemistry, biology, safety, PKDM, etc.)
- Experience managing direct reports or coaching others (internal or CRO)
- Excellent collaboration and communication skills (both written and oral)
Amgen is an Equal Opportunity employer and will consider all qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, or disability status.
Special Advisory: Please be cautious of scam recruitment offers claiming to be from Amgen. Such scams may come from various sources, including fake websites, social media chat and/or unsolicited emails. These scams seek to obtain personal information or payment from victims by offering jobs that do not exist. Please be advised that Amgen would never ask for payment to progress a job application or send checks to be deposited in bank accounts. When in doubt, please check to see if the position in question is posted on the Amgen career site. Additionally, please report any suspicious recruiting activity to https://complaint.ic3.gov and thank you for your assistance.